Planning, Approval, Accreditation & Registration of New Qualifications & Streams
Academic Planning at UCT
The Academic Planning Unit (APU) reports to the Director of the Institutional Planning Department and the Senate Teaching and Learning Committee. Academic planning processes are reported to Senate via the Programme Approvals and Accreditation Committee (PAAC).
Academic planning at the University of Cape Town involves supporting the planning, approval and good governance of streams and qualifications, alignment of qualifications with the Higher Education Qualifications Sub-Framework (HEQSF), and conducting environmental scans of the higher education environment.
Specifically, the functions of the Unit include:
- Providing support (including quality assurance and curriculum advice) for the planning of new qualifications and streams, and changes to existing qualifications and streams in line with the specifications of the Higher Education Qualifications Sub-Framework (HEQSF), national and institutional policy.
- Facilitating the processes of approval for new qualifications and streams through the institution’s internal committees.
- Completing the relevant information required for the submission of applications for approval by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DoHET), accreditation by the Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC), and registration of new qualifications with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
- Supporting academic administration to ensure that all records at the institution are in line with accreditation outcomes.
- Maintaining an internal database of all qualifications registered with SAQA, updating the institution’s Programme and Qualification Mix, and responding to institutional queries on this.
- Conducting research on higher education trends to support the institution’s Teaching and Learning Strategy and strategic goals.
- Providing support for academic planning activities that advance UCT’s Strategic Plan.
- Providing secretariat support to the Programme Approvals and Accreditation Committee and the Distinguished Teachers Committee.